Tuesday 1 April 2014

The song remembers when...

Hi everyone!


Welcome to the new challenge at Our Creative Corner
Alison is hosting this challenge and she would like you to create something that is made.....

 With a song in your heart

Create something inspired by and including a song title and/or lyrics. 

We would like to see the words appearing on your creation, and please let 
us know in your post the song which has inspired you


    When I found out the title to this challenge so many songs came into my head. With so many to choose from this should have been really easy! I actually thought I had found the perfect one, but then I hesitated about opening up my life into a creation - All of the songs that came to mind are very much loved, but they are so because they remind me of a time or place in my life, bringing back happy or sad memories.

     I was listening to some favourite songs on my ipod and a song by Trisha Yearwood called 'The song remembers when' came on and I thought "That's the one!"...

     I chose it because it is all about why my favourite songs are so important to me - they take me back to a memory in an instant...as soon as the music starts I can see the memories so very clearly...and so this song always makes me smile...

    

     I decided to start with a clock die cut. I dabbed it with Antique Bronze DP, making sure the card wasn't covered entirely. Then when dry I blended Evergreen Bough DI over it to give a lovely rusty verdigris look.


Then I wanted to add some texture so sprinkled with Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress embossing powders and a little Verdigris embossing powder.























I did the same with some ivy die cuts as well.

     I prepared some corrugated card by tearing sections of the surface paper to reveal the texture underneath. I brushed with Gesso very roughly and then added some streaks of Distress paint in Evergreen Bough, Antique Bronze and Picket Fence.

 When this was dry I covered it with Walnut stain DS and wiped away the excess with a tissue - where the paints haven't covered it gives a lovely distressed effect.


   The center of the clock was covered with Antique Linen DS and stamped with a music stamp in Potting Soil Archival ink. So now I had the main parts of the creation and I needed some embellishments...


       One of the challenge requirements is to feature lyrics and/or the title from the song. I did both because the line I chose includes the title! I picked the line - " Even if the whole world has forgotten, the song remembers when" because, to me, this is a perfect description of the power of words and music....that even if the memory seems as if it is gone, a song will bring it back to you. I stamped these words in Potting Soil Archival ink onto ivory card and cut the words out. I then blended Walnut Stain Distress ink around the edges of the words and stuck them onto the collage.

   I chose two photographs from TH Salvage stickers collection and then found in the same collection some tickets and other bits and pieces....




















I added some calendar tissue tape in places as it fits in with memories and time and I began to construct the collage. I added a few roses made with tattered florals die and a delicate die cut covered with Copper embossing powder.



 
















A spinner seemed the perfect addition as the clock looked strange without hands - I found that it added a connection to the word 'when' which I had chosen to put on the rusty heart - but had seemed a bit disconnected as a result. So that worked out well!!!


  At this point I thought it was done but I wasn't very happy with it ....and I couldn't figure out why. It all looked 'nice', but wasn't 'right'...I left it and thought for a while and suddenly decided it needed another background. I got some plain cardboard and dry brushed with gesso, applying more in some areas. I stamped a music stamp and a script stamp in Potting Soil Archival ink. I added some strips of calendar tissue tape and then I covered everything with Walnut Stain DI and wiped the surface clean. It looked a little too clean after that, so I softened the effect with some Vintage Photo DI blended around the edges.



Then I stuck the collage on to this, added some ivory eyelets and attached some twine to hang it up.




    So there it is - my song from the heart...and it is a song that is definitely worth listening to! If you have a few minutes to spare, here it is...........




 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. A beautifully aged panel with a complete sense of nostalgia. Love it. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning panel Laura, so much detail and wonderful elements all perfectly put together, - love it! Oh and the rusting on the clock looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for including all the wonderful close-ups of this terrific project, Laura!
    I turned on the song and enjoyed diving deep into the rich textures, colours and details of all the wonderful layers and elements you combined to create this wonderful, wonderful piece!

    This will be among my favourites from your makes! Sooo lovely and thoughtful!

    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful, evocative piece... such gorgeous vintage detailing and textures. The finish on the clock and the ivy is glorious - and I know exactly how glorious, since I'm lucky enough to be able to admire it in real life!

    What a great song to choose for this challenge too - a thought that really sums up why I find songs to be such powerful inspiration in creativity - they carry all those memories and thoughts and possibilities. Thank you!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful vintage hanging, gorgeous elements and details.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful piece, with so many gorgeous details x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this piece is so true and so poignant - as you know I work as a volunteer helper for Singing for the Brain, an initiative of the Alzheimer's Society. Even when a person with dementia has forgotten how to speak or cannot recognise people any more, the songs from their past come back, words and music together, they can sing along, they can perhaps even relate to their partner again,however briefly, and it is one of the most moving things I have been privileged to witness.

    This tag has moved me very deeply.....thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Namaste Miss Laura,this is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, and soooooo beautiful, I was excited to see the DREAM TEAM back in action, and what a challenge Miss Alison picked, I love it and can't create with out my music, it's been a huge part of my life too, I'm tempted to join in and play, thanks for ALL your inspiration, I'm off to visit the others, have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS ))). I saw a video with seniors hearing music and watched them come to life, I could only imagine how it was in real life AWESOME....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just breathtaking
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful piece of artwork, Laura! The background you created is fantastic as is the weathered clock. Love the way you have use the vintage ephemera and images. Beautiful flowers and the corrugated cardboard is the perfect contrast. Very inspirational!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!